Sunday, July 23, 2017

Third week

Day 8

We reviewed the parts of the body sticking slips in two volunteer students and we had fun. We also reviewed some greetings and the word STOP. They learned the words WALK and THE. We walked around our school to read some signs and some numbers.

We read the book The Big Surprise and we counted how many times we read the words The, she and her.

The students retold the story and I wrote some sentences on the board with the title of the book. The students copied the sentences and practiced reading.

In the afternoon, I received two new students. While the new students were in the orientation session, I worked with my other students. We studied about ailments and how to talk to a doctor. We used the website Learning Chocolate to learn about some basic health problems.We saw some ailments using the Word by Word Picture dictionary and we watched a video of a doctor's appointment on Youtube. We talked about the video.

Day 9

We started the class talking about our favourite fruits. I wrote the names of the fruits on the board and the students played a game to erase names of the fruits according to the fruit I said.

We reviewed the parts of the body and I wrote them on the board. The students did an exercise to fill in the blanks with vowels of the parts of the body and another one with consonants. They reviewed the greetings and learned Hi and Hello. We reviewed the words STOP and WALK and learned the word WOMEN. We also learned another sight word: TO. We walked in the school to read the words we had learned.

I asked them to start writing a list of the sight words on the last page of their notebook. Each day they are going to add a new word.

We reviewed the numbers and did a listening exercise using numbers and simple calculations. They learned the words plus, minus, times, divided by and equals.

I observed that the students focused a lot on the listening exercise. A few students could not follow the exercise very well but their peers helped them. One of the students had a lot of difficulty to do the listening exercise so I asked her to practice writing upper case letters instead.

Day 10

We started the class talking about our favourite numbers and then I asked the students to stand up and ask three classmates' phone numbers using this sheet below. They wrote their classmates' names and phone numbers. They asked me how to say the word spell.



We reviewed some math symbols and we finished the listening exercise about numbers. We corrected the exercise with volunteers going to the board and writing the correct numbers on the board.

We reviewed the greetings and learned EXCUSE ME. We also reviewed the previous words from the past days and learned the word MEN.

We added another word to our Sight Words list: AND.

The afternoon group also used the website REEP World to study more about health problems. They used the Word by Word picture dictionary too.

Day 11

I decided not to talk about ailments today so we can learn about a different topic every week. As I am asking them to write a book about themselves, I thought it was a good idea for them to talk about things they like and dislike.

We started talking about one thing we liked. While they told me things, I wrote the words on the board and we read them together.

We reviewed the math symbols  + - x ÷ = and some health problems. We also reviewed the sight words and added the words I and YOU. We practiced and they wrote them on their list.

I talked to my coordinator about doing likes and dislikes and she suggested that I ask them to draw some things they liked on a sheet of paper. I showed them mine as an example. After that, as some students wrote the names of some things, I asked them to write the names of all the things on their paper. Then, I put them in pairs and asked them to share the things they liked. They really enjoyed this activity and I am going to use it more often. :-)

After the break we went to the computer lab so they could continue or start writing their books. I showed them mine as an example.



We read it together and I asked students to write theirs. I taught them how to look for pictures using Google Images and how to copy and paste the pictures in their books.

One student did something different since she has just started classes and it was the first time she was using a computer. I taught her how to turn on the computer and I asked her if she would like to practice the alphabet and the numbers. She watched some videos on Youtube. She also watched some videos of likes and dislikes.

Then they used some websites to practice what they wanted. Most students chose the website Learning Chocolate and one student read a book from the ESL Bow Valley website.

Reflection: I realized that I should ask students to write one page at a time. Besides, I am not going to stick to one theme every day anymore. I believe the students want to learn about other things too. I am going to ask them more about this on Monday. I think it is not just because they have chosen to study health in their needs assessment that I should focus ONLY on that.



No comments:

Post a Comment