Monday, August 21, 2017

Last week

Day 23

We started the class talking about things we do to practice English. The students mentioned the following: watch TV, talk to people, listen to the radio, and others. I think it is very important for teachers to talk about language learning strategies so that students can become autonomous in language learning.

As a warm up, I gave the students a small sheet of paper and gave them one minute to write words starting with some letters. I wanted to check on their writing and spelling.

We learned the expression "Can you spell ______?" and the sight word "they". We talked about the subject pronouns and they gave me two sentences using the sight word.

Regarding numeracy, we talked about how much pizza we like to eat. We talked about a half, a third and a quarter.

Then, we concluded the topic about health by learning how to fill in a form when going to a walk-in clinic. I was very glad all the students remembered to bring their forms! It means they are getting used to the school system! Yay!We did it together as a group using the Smartboard and then they filled in their own forms. As they did not know all the information, I asked them to finish the activity at home and bring it to me the following day.

We read another page of the book "Going to the doctor" and checked on the understanding of some words using Google images.

In the afternoon group, we had a dictation of a paragraph. The students did very well and I asked them to check on spelling using their smartphones.

My Foundations student reviewed some letters using a puzzle; circled similar letters; and learned three more letters. I am impressed she was able to learn lots of letters with the Youtube videos.


Day 24

We started the class talking about something special. As a warm up, we talked about some adjectives that describe things. I decided to ask them as a group to match a word with each picture using the Smartboard. By the way, the are doing that to get ready for our school Scavenger Hunt. It was a good activity for them to work together as a team.



We learned the expression "How is this word pronounced?" and the sight word "but".

In the morning group, I asked the students to get magazines and look for pictures that describe each word.



In the afternoon group we didn't do that because we had a Fire Drill and we spent some time learning what to do before the drill.

We learned about directions using the website Learning Chocolate.

My Foundations students continued to learn more letters using flashcards, a puzzle, and a book.

Day 25

We started the class talking about things we love besides family. I was very happy when various students mentioned school and English!

Our warm up was to walk in the school using the directions we had learned the day before.

We learned the expression "Sit down" and the sight word "at".

We reviewed some adjectives using the Smartboard. I also wrote on the board some sentences suggested by the students using the adjectives. The students copied the sentences.

We had a very special activity about the solar eclipse that is happening in Winnipeg on August 21st, 2017. My coordinator presented a short talk about solar eclipses and she gave instructions on how to make a pinhole camera. It was a great activity that involved all the students. It was great for them to follow instructions and do things.


After this, we returned to class and I asked some comprehension questions and they were able to answer everything! Yay! I also showed some more pictures of a solar eclipse.


In my morning class, they played an ELLLO game about directions too.


Last day

We started the class talking about some things they have learned. They mentioned parts of the body, booking an appointment, talking to a doctor, alphabet, number, the expressions, sight words. among others. I was very happy they realize they have learned many things.

Our warm up was to write adjectives or draw something on a sheet posted to our back. To prepare for this, I elicited some positive words they use to describe people. It is always amazing to see how much they already know. :-) You can see the activity in the pictures below. We had fun doing that and we kept this as a souvenir of our summer class.




We learned the expression "Stand up" and the sight word "with".

I printed out and gave them the books they had written in the computer lab.

We practiced describing things and directions so we could get ready for the school scavenger hunt my coordinator and a group of teachers had prepared. We used Google maps to see the ways and to know the directions. We walked to a beautiful park and the students were supposed to take pictures of some places. At the park, they were supposed to take pictures of something green, something wet, and others. There were teachers in each place so the students could know if they were able to understand the directions.

It was a beautiful sunny day and we had lots of fun on our last day of classes.

I also made brigadeiros and beijinhos (Brazilian sweet treats) for my students. I think they all liked them. :-)


We returned to class, I thanked them for the wonderful summer and I am very happy some students are going to return in September! :-)

Reflection: I have learned a lot these past seven weeks and I want to learn much more to keep improving my practice and better help my ESL Literacy students. It was also a great experience to have students from various countries with very different schooling backgrounds (or none) working together. I could observe they helped teaching each other and this was great because I truly believe that when you teach, you learn twice. It was also good to use the same class structure every day so the students knew what to expect.

For the next term, I think I am going to use some days to focus on things such as functional English, reading, numeracy, and grammar instead of teaching just a little bit of each every day... I don't know... I am going to talk to my coordinator about that.. (I love to talk to people about my job since I believe different points of view can help me improve).

I was happy the students learned a lot of "expressions" to use in their daily lives here. I also liked that they learned how to book an appointment and how to talk to a doctor. I know they still need to practice more, but it was already a good start. Anyway, it was a wonderful experience and I am glad I am going to attend an online course about how to teach ESL Literacy next month and I can't wait to start!

My future blog posts are not going to be so frequent, but I will share some ideas and projects on a regular basis for sure! Thanks for your time! :-)

Love and peace,
Cintia :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment