Sunday, August 13, 2017

Sixth week

Day 20

We started the class talking about the long weekend. Some students had gone to the beach, others had gone camping and I told them I had gone to a lake for the first time. I showed a picture on Facebook of me in a lake near Winnipeg. I like to do that in order to connect with my students and yes, all my students are my friends on Facebook. :-)

Warm up: "Walk and do". I asked the students to walk around the class and mime a verb. They had fun with that. :-) I think they like to move.

They learned the expression "I'm sorry." and sight word "that".

We reviewed the Canadian coins using the website Learning Chocolate.

We learned what to say when going to a clinic or to a hospital adapting this lesson .

They read the text below in pairs and underlined the sight words. We corrected it together and read it together as well.


I asked them what a receptionist usually asks. They gave me some ideas and we watched and discussed the first part of the video. I also asked them to listen to the patient's last name and phone number. As they were not sure about some numbers they have heard, we used that opportunity to discuss some strategies to use whenever they are not sure about a number.

My Foundations students did a matching exercise successfully. By the way, I was impressed one of them remembered many letters (I think it was because of the videos she had watched!)

Day 21

We started the class talking about things we like to do on Friday nights. Then we played the game called "Ladder" as a warm up activity. I wrote a word on the board and the students had to tell us words starting with the last letter. It was a good vocabulary exercise.

CANADA
              AND
                    DOG
                          GRAPE
                                     ENGLISH

We studied the expression "I didn't understand." and sight word "for". The students gave me some examples and copied on their notebooks. You can see a picture of the expressions on my wall and the sight words list.


We studied about Canadian money using the website Learning Chocolate. In the afternoon group, the students wanted to know who the man on the 10 dollar bill was. We used Wikipedia and found out the information they wanted and we also learned that there is another person, a woman called Viola Desmond, on the newer bill. We read a bit about her  and it was a great opportunity to learn about Canadian history.


We practiced typing using their paper keyboard. I can see clearly that my students are focused on learning about it. It is wonderful to help them with something they really want to learn.

We reviewed the previous class talking about the conversation they had learned about what to say in a Walk-in clinic. I gave the two groups the conversation on slips of paper so they could put it in order. Even though it was a long one, they were able to do it. I helped some groups a little bit, though. Some students were very active to use their cell phones to check the translation of some words as you can see in the picture below.

As we are in the 21st century, I really don't mind when they use their cell phones to learn. Besides, the Canadian government asks instructors to prepare students to live in Canada and smartphones are a very important part of most people's lives.





After that, we watched the video again to check if the order was correct. We checked understanding and practiced pronunciation.

Then we discussed about a doctor's appointment. We watched the rest of the video and I asked them what they could understand. They mentioned some things and they did an exercise to put the pictures in order.

I thought they got tired today... Maybe it was too much information for just one class...

Day 22

We started the class talking about their favourite food. Then I taught them the question "How often" and elicited some healthy activities on the board.


Our warm up was to interview each other about how often we do healthy activities. It was a great opportunity to practice listening, speaking, and vocabulary. Some students allowed me to post their pictures interviewing each other here.



They learned the expression "Can I borrow?" and sight word "on". The students gave me some examples with the word "on" and copied them.

Then we continued the previous class talking about Eating healthy food. They wrote the five foods the man in our story was eating. As some of them did not know how to write those words, I distributed "Word by Word" picture dictionaries. In the afternoon group, a student did not wait for me and took the initiative to give the picture dictionaries to everyone in class. I really liked that because she saw a problem and solved it autonomously. :-)

Finally, we talked about dreams so they could add the last page to their books. I taught them how to look for a picture using Google Images, copy it and paste it on their document. We went to the computer lab to do that and to practice typing too.

My two Foundation students recognized some letters using the exercises below. They also watched alphabet videos on Youtube in the computer lab.


Reflection: I am happy my students are learning but I am still not very sure if I am fulfilling all their needs now. I know it is not possible to please everyone in class, but I wish I could.... Anyway, my coordinator asked the students to give their feedback about my classes this week and I can't wait to read their thoughts and comments so I can keep learning and improving.

No comments:

Post a Comment